Update #1: Garage Monitor Memory Leak: Part 1.
Update #2: I should point out that the arm on the switch I ended up using bent so it stopped working after about a month of use. I really need to figure out a way to mount the magnetic switch instead. I added a rough parts list to the end of this article.
This project uses a switch and temperature sensor connected to a Raspberry Pi (revision 2 board) to provide the state of the garage to a personal web server. This allows my wife and I to check the status of the garage via a bookmark on our smartphones.
This is the first circuit I have created a circuit board for. I am proud of the results. 🙂
Continue reading “My Raspberry Pi Powered Garage Monitor”
When I bought my above average Pac-Man cabinet, I wondered if there was a way to choose between playing Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man. My wife said she wanted to play Ms. Pac-Man with the fast mode enabled.
Of course I first ran across the 96-in-1 Multipac. But why in the world would you want to have 500 variations on Pac-Man (plus Pengo)??? Ok, Pengo would be cool, but I don’t want to play “Pac Electric Cowboy”, or “Pac Mr. Roboto”!
Thankfully I found Jason Souza’s 4-in-1 Pac Hack. WOW! This is exactly what I wanted. No more, no less.
Before I could install the 4-in-1 Pac-Man multigame, I had to get the Pac-Man operational. (Note to self: make sure daughter boards are not upside down on day 1!) Since I was already ordering parts from Bob Roberts, I asked him to include the supplies to install this hack. Not including shipping, it cost me $26.50 for the two ROMs, ROM programming, ROM sockets, and wire. So, after flipping the Z80 Buss Sync Controller, replacing 2 RAM chips, and replacing the sound transistor, we were ready for the hack.
Two months pass… while I am waiting on parts for my Space Station Pinball repair I decide it is time to hack my pac. 🙂
It was very tedious, and at times difficult to solder the tiny wires to the chip legs. And then there was the worry that I would connect things up wrong, so I quadruple checked every wire. I even used a continuity checker to ensure none of the legs I soldered were accidentally shorted to the leg next to it (there were a couple of those that needed to be corrected).
I am almost embarrassed to share this with you… it looks like my pac board got attacked by a spaghetti monster. But the end result was worth it. 🙂
This is a long overdue post considering on April 18th I said “I put my Pac-Man in my house today!” on Twitter. 🙂
Its final resting place is all the way up against that back wall. But I like this picture with Grandson and Grandpa playing side by side. 🙂
When I got it, it had garbage on the screen. Here is a list of repairs.
- Replaced Fuse Block + fresh fuses.
- Flipped the Z80 Sync Bus Controller card so it would stop blowing fuses!
- Replaced multiple RAM chips to clear up screen garbage.
- Replaced sound transistor to restore sound to the game.
- Reattached heat sinks to overheating chips on the lower portion of the board, to solve overheating color and behavioral problems. (Used thermal grease… I haven’t checked to see if that’s holding or not yet.)
· From my CoinOpSpace.com arcade blog
After my success with bringing a Galaga 3 (Gaplus) cocktail back to life, last month I have been on the hunt for another good deal on a project game. Well, that hunt ended today with the purchase of a Pac-Man (PM) upright. The seller also had a Space Invaders Deluxe that he wanted to get rid of. I didn’t especially want it, but I got it cheap and ended up paying $180 for both. And to top it off, he delivered them to my garage for me! 🙂
The seller said neither game has worked in about 4 years. I tried powering on the Pac-Man and it did nothing. But it was missing a fuse so I expected as much. 😉 I haven’t tried powering up the Space Invaders Deluxe yet, but by the seller’s description it may just play blind.
Upon further inspection, I found an interesting small board hanging inside the cabinet and a bag of parts in the cabinet. As it turns out I got a bonus ABC Diagnostic and Repair Kit from TwoBits.com! This is a $100 kit!! The way I figure it, if the kit fixes Pac-Man I essentially got the Pac-Man for $50. 😉
Assuming I can get the Space Invaders Deluxe working I am going to need a bezel/marquee glass. If anyone has a source for one, let me know. 🙂
The first name on the TwoBits’ receipt is different than the seller’s. And since the seller said the games were at his mom’s house made me think the games were his dad’s. So I won’t get any more answers out of him about their repair history.
The batteries on my camera died, so I will have to take pictures to share tomorrow. Here are links to the photos.
Album: Space Invaders Deluxe
· via my blog on CoinOpSpace.com.